Translate

Monday 27 June 2016

The book of Proverbs Chapter 1


 


The book of Proverbs

Chapter 1






1. The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: 2. For learning about wisdom and instruction, for understanding words of insight, 3. for gaining instruction in wise dealing, righteousness, justice, and equity; 4. to teach shrewdness to the simple, knowledge and prudence to the young-5. let the wise also hear and gain in learning, and the discerning acquire skill, 6. to understand a proverb and a figure of the wise and their riddles. 7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.




(The book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 1 to 7)





Oh God, my Father there are such lovers of knowledge such as philosophers who love to seek questions. They tend to be like the doorbell. They ask and listen to many questions but get the minimum of answers. Others make declarations, or hypotheses that are disproved by others and the cycle goes on. However, Your truth and knowledge are totally different from that of the world. As Christians or Roman Catholic we are to show belief in You and Your word before seeking proof of its authenticity. The secret of faith is to believe before seeing results. Human knowledge depends on proof that is substantiated by further proof, however, You and Your proof are absolute and do not need to be proved for us to believe Amen.




8. Hear, my child your father's instruction, and do not reject your mother's teaching; 9. for they are a fair garland for your head, and pendants for your neck.




(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 8 to 9)




Oh God, my Father I greatly appreciate these words of instruction, for although I was subject to emotional abuse throughout my life, I still cherish the moments of good instruction that I received from my parents. Now that I am a parent myself, I try to be of wise counsel to my daughter, however she is still young and does not accept it, for at the age of 8 years old she is still trying to develop her own self and as the psychologists hold, her 'Id' is still stronger than her 'ego'. However ,I still love her and pray for her that one day she will realise how much she means to me, even though at times I nag about her not doing this and that, however, I also try to focus on her good points Amen.




10. My child if sinners entice you, do not consent. 11. If they say, 'Come with us, let us lie in wait for blood; let us wantonly ambush the innocent; 12. like Sheol let us swallow them alive and whole, like those who go down to the Pit. 13. We shall find all kinds of costly things; we shall fill our houses with booty. 14. Throw in your lot among us; we will all have one purse" 15. my child do not walk in their way keep your foot from their paths; 16. for their feet run to evil, and they hurry to shed blood. 17. For in vain is the net baited while the bird is looking on;18. yet they lie in wait-to kill themselves and set an ambush-for their own lives 16. Such is the end of all who are greedy for gain; it takes away the life of its possessors.




(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 10 to 16)




Oh God I thank You for such wise counsel. The trend is to send someone an e-mail in which many promises are made, or by means of hangouts in the form of a relationship. At first we are persuaded to become friends with the person and then gradually the call to join into a scheme that will make us millionaires is offered in a way that we cannot refuse, thus making us feel guilty if we do so! I pray that we always be aware for many devils are lose and ready to swallow us whole if we give them the opportunity to do so Amen.  




17. For in vain is the net baited while the bird is looking on: 18. yet they lie in wait-to kill themselves! and set an ambush-for their own lives! 19. Such is the end of all who are greedy for gain; it takes away the life of its possessors.




(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 17 to 19)




Oh God my Father the evil one is aware of when and where to strike us where we hurt the most, however when humans strike there is always the chance of error and that the traps that they have made for others will be experienced by themselves. I pray oh God that You deliver us from such moments of planning injury to others and to ourselves Amen. May we seek new ways to love, care and support each other instead of seeking to do harm Amen. 



20. Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice. 21. At the busiest corner she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: 22. "How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?




(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 20 to 22)





Oh God my Father, all the time You are active, every day of our lives, You keep on calling upon us to repent and turn away from our ways. Oh God my Father for some reason we prefer to live a limited life based on our personal gains (at least that is what we think) then depend on You and live life to the fullest as according to Your Will. Amen. 




23. Give heed to my reproof; I will pour out my thoughts to you.; I will make my words known to you. 24. Because I have called and you refused, have stretched out my hand and no one heeded, 25. and because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, 26. I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when panic strikes you, 27. when panic strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you.




(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 23 to 27)




Oh God my Father even though the author of the book of proverbs would laugh at our calamity just because we merited it due to our disobedience I feel that You would not laugh but feel sorry for us, for You know how we behave, how stubborn and ignorant we can be even though we are aware of the consequences. Please forgive my God and Father for we do not know what we are doing Amen. 


28. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but will not find me. 29. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, 30. would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, 31. therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way and be sated with their own devices.


(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 28 to 31)


Oh God my Father when we decide to act upon our own ways we are choosing our ways over Your ways, therefore we end up reaping the fruit of our actions instead of reaping the graces planned for us according to Your ways. I pray for Your wisdom so that in all circumstances I be enlightened by Your ways and act according to Your will Amen.




32. For waywardness kills the simple, and the complacency of fools destroys them; 33. but those who listen to me will be secure and will live at ease, without dread of disaster."


(Book of Proverbs Chapter 1 verses 32 to 33)


Oh God my Father, You love us so much that You give us a fair warning of the consequences whatever our choice may be. I pray that we base our decision making on Your way instead of ours Amen.



Oh God my Father I would like to end this chapter with the following prayer:-



Oh God my Father, today we are faced with one of the most important questions of our lives. We are to freely make our choice, between You and the world with all its attractions. Oh God this is not an easy choice, for with our lips we say that we choose You above all, however our actions or nature may choose otherwise. I pray that You inflame our intellect and conscience that we may make a decision based on Your will Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment